Saturday, March 27, 2021

Sen. Herman Talmadge (D-GA) to Robert Caro on LBJ's view of proper white and black relationship: "Master and servant."

 

Robert Caro interview with former Sen. Herman Talmadge (D-GA) in year 2000 and Lyndon Johnson’s view of the proper white and black relationship: “Master and servant.”

QUOTE

          The senator was indeed very ill and in my notes on the conversation I wrote down many times “a long pause,” “long pause.” Talmadge said about Lyndon Johnson, “At first, for years, I liked him. He spent a long time cultivating me, hours and hours. We would talk about everything: hunting, girls, civil rights.” I asked him how did Johnson view the relationship between whites and Negroes. He said, “Master and servant.” So I asked, Well didn’t Johnson have any sympathy for blacks, any desire to improve their lot? My notes say “long pause.” And then I wrote his two-word reply: “None indicated.” Another pause, and then: “He was with us in his heart. I believed him. I believed him.”

UNQUOTE

[Robert Caro, Working: Researching, Interviewing, Writing, p. 170]

No comments:

Post a Comment